Avoid distractions from cell phone use
Video ran on NBC Today show in August 2018.
Safer 3 Water Safety Foundation
Educate to eliminate drowning
Front of the Safer 3 badge
I am the designated WATER WATCHER.
Back of Safer 3 badge
I promise I will…
- Provide barriers, such as four-sided isolation fencing, to restrict access to pool or spa in the home.
- Know the risks in open water settings such as rip currents, high surf at the beach, strong currents in rivers, etc.
- Always look for lifeguards and only allow swimming in supervised areas.
- Avoid all distractions while watching the water: no phones (except for emergency use), texting, side conversations, reading, etc.
- Only be relieved by supervising duty by another adult water watcher.
- Never leave children unattended in the water.
- Continuously scan with my eyes the water’s surface and the bottom of the pool.
- Call 911 and follow instructions to administer CPR and First Aid if needed
- Know how to use available rescue equipment on hand.
Pool Safely Water Watcher
Pool safely, simple steps save lives.
I am responsible for watching children to protect them from drowning.
Drowning is Preventable!
As the designated Water Watcher:
- I will watch the children in the pool and never leave them unattended.
- I will regularly scan the bottom of the pool.
- I will avoid poolside chats and talking on the phone.
- I will keep a phone at the pool for emergency use only and know the address of the pool I am guarding.
- I will call 911 and follow advice to administer CPR if necessary.
- I will locate and learn to use all pool safety equipment.