- Growing up in Durban, South Africa, I spent a lot of time paddling in surf lifesaving competitions, enjoying the freedom and responsiveness of the boats.
- After years of competition, I decided to try sea kayaking. However, the transition was challenging, as the sea kayak was much heavier and had less space for leg movement.
- I struggled with the wider shape of the sea kayak, as it affected my paddling stroke and leg positioning.
Creating lightweight and high-performance sea kayaks
- Using materials like Kevlar, carbon fiber, and honeycomb to reduce weight
- Designing the kayaks to be easily manageable by a single person
Efficiency of a kayak is based on water line length and shape, not the ends of the boat.
- Having a sloping bow and narrow front end does not necessarily improve performance.
- The boat's efficiency depends on factors like water line length, width, cross-sectional shapes, and volume distribution.
Epic Sea Kayaks utilize the full length of the boat for efficiency.
- Epic Sea Kayaks are designed to make use of the full length of the boat, even if it exceeds the necessary length.
- In competitive settings, more efficient technologies like Epic Sea Kayaks tend to outperform less efficient ones.
The shape of the kayak is designed to be efficient in the water and allow for a closer catch up front.
- The kayak is designed so that you can choose to put your legs in the center or on the sides.
- The kayak also has options for control in different conditions, such as edging for surf conditions and locking in for stability.
A rudder boat is faster and more efficient than a non-rudder boat.
- Rudders may create drag but they only add 1-2% drag to the boat.
- A rudder allows for easier maneuvering and correction, saving up to 70% less power compared to making corrections without a rudder.
Unconventional sea kayak designs and the efficiency of different rudder positions.
- The position of the rudder affects the kayak's performance in water.
- Rudders are more efficient in shallow water and rocky conditions, but less effective in wind and waves.
Epic Sea Kayaks are designed for ease and speed on the water.
- They offer a modern, efficient model for paddling.
- The kayaks have adjustable features, including a rudder for better steering.